the Suitcase

Potluck Tour Across America! My writings and frustrations concerning the three stages of the tour: 1)Formulation 2)Travelogue 3)Aftermath CURRENT STAGE: Formulation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, United States

Friday, May 18, 2007

The Flyer...and other things too

regin

It's been a while since I last wrote on here. It's funny to think that my last post was about how discouraged I was with the whole feat and that I'm basically still at the same place.
______________________________________________

Above is the flyer for the tour. That should tell you just how poor I will be on this tour.

My friend Zach gave me an idea for shirts. I really can't afford to manufacture any kind of merchandise. So I'll be making it on my own. The idea is to buy plain white T's and then draw on them myself. I'll draw a few before the show and then draw it as needed. Maybe even draw a picture of the person buying the shirt.

I began reading a new book. Well, not so much 'new' as 'once discarded and now re-carded' -- Life of Pi. A friend gave it to me for my birthday in January and I still haven't gotten around to it. I got it a bit wet a few nights ago. It was in my backpack and I was riding my bike in the rain. It's old and wise now. In any case, I mention this because yesterday, I finally decided to take a break from the scheduling and e-mailing and searching and planning to sit down and read this book. It hasn't changed my life or anything but it was definitely relaxing and excellent writing. You gotta pace yourself, I suppose.

The tour has a name now. Because tours need names. Like dogs and boats, except if you don't name a tour, you probably won't get a bunch of years of bad luck. I thought, What name would be concise and fun and attractive: The Potluck Tour of Homes.

Catchy, right?

Right.

Yesterday I bought a guitar at a pawn shop that I'll need for the tour. Then I bought an amp. Turns out, it was a bass amp. So now I have to see if they'll let me return the amp. I just can't escape the thought that one little overlooked detail will send the whole thing tail spinning. Like buying the wrong amp is a mistake in the category of forgetting my backpack at someone's house. Everytime things get flustering I tell myself to slow down because this is where things usually get even messier --when your just trying to get it done as sloppy as possible.

Another reason I started this blog was so that anyone who later wanted to launch their own tour of homes, would be able to see what mistakes I made or take tips and ideas from this blog. If that's you, let me ya: it's tough. Everything is so cheap and ghetto that I feel like it could fall apart at any second. Don't let that discourage because people will certainly try.

I called up a friend yesterday and she talked about the community she lives in and just how invaluable that spirit of camaraderie really is. My angst wasn't silenced but certainly hushed. I don't think this is supposed to be easy. Communicating with other human beings never is.