the Suitcase

Potluck Tour Across America! My writings and frustrations concerning the three stages of the tour: 1)Formulation 2)Travelogue 3)Aftermath CURRENT STAGE: Formulation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, United States

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Careful, little firefly...careful

I have to mow the lawn in a bit. That ought to be nice.

The show went swimmingly. I haven't updated because I thought I might have pictures by now. I don't. But I'll post them when/if I get them.

This show was billed a little different than the rest of the shows. We asked people to bring lamps as well as food. Maybe it was too much to ask because few people brought food and even fewer brought lamps. The idea was to have a whole living room floor filled up with lamps. I think maybe people were confused because all we wrote on the flyer was "Bring a lamp or bring some food!" I suppose, we've learned our lesson. I also heard talk of other people doing house shows in lincoln this summer. I'm excited about that! Even though, I won't be there I think it lovely that people are catching onto the idea.

Another lesson I learned, and this is in the gadget department, you probably shouldn't plug two separate instruments into one amp. I plugged my laptop and guitar in my amp. It pooped out mid-show and everything started sounding really faint and distant afterward. My heart sank, especially since I just bought the amp only a week ago at a pawn shop. It was working okay after the show. A little shaky but it worked.

I was driving the other day when I pulled out on the highway and almost got broad-sided by an SUV. Luckily, she stomped on her brakes and so did I while throwing it in reverse and backing in the gas station I had just left. I watched her huff past and then thought to myself, "Careful, little firefly...careful." In that split second, my whole tour could've been squashed like a bug in a windshield instead of being a friendly beacon in oppression. All that just because I hadn't properly looked out for traffic. I've been noticing that I've been cutting corner lately. Details matter. I need to take things slow, to listen and feel and think and enjoy.

I don't know how I feel about relationships and the such or exactly what to make of their species, but there's a certain female I have my eye on. My recent mantra against dating was that free birds don't need cages, even gold ones. Is this just an extra shiny cage or a new home?

There's this guy I started listening to tonight called Christopher Denny. He's also from the natural state and god, his voice is so beautiful and ancient and wise.

I'm almost done with Life of Pi. I swear, there's something I'm missing about the book. I have suspicions but nothing I'm really sure of. I'm enjoying figuring out the symbols and the color parallels.

The story of the potluck tour runs tomorrow in the Lincoln Journal-Star! I'll post a link .

I have to drive 38 hours in the next 2 weeks. This will be brutal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home