the Suitcase

Potluck Tour Across America! My writings and frustrations concerning the three stages of the tour: 1)Formulation 2)Travelogue 3)Aftermath CURRENT STAGE: Formulation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, United States

Thursday, June 21, 2007

I find my wallet and other complications


It was a mere 24 hours ago that I found myself in a state of stress and duress. Now I'm sittin' pretty at the computer writing about how cool I am (I employ the word 'cool' here simply for its referral to propensities in temperature--the AC is on).

I found my wallet.

Well, my mother found it for me.

I had left it in her car the other day and completely forgot. It's funny to think about how worked up I was about that wallet when really the entire time it was sitting safely in my mother's Toyota Camry.

I woke up this morning with a friend on my mind and I decided to call her. We talked for about an hour and a half--something I don't frequently do mostly because it can come out to be quite expensive but also because I've seen that people usually run out of things to say about about the 15 or 20-minute mark. It was nice. Talking to people and communicating is something I very much want to incorporate in the tour. I didn't do a very good job of that at the Kansas City show. But that's neither here nor there.....

I still haven't booked the Seattle venue even though I've been telling myself I have to. I guess I've been kind of hoping against hope that somehow a show would open up with Husbands, Love Your Wives who is this amazing girl with lyrics that blow my mind. I don't think that'll work out.

Another thing that should've prompted me to book the venue is my discovery of a myspace that list a number of DIY venues across America. This might be handy for another tour. In any case, I really need to get on it. So much to do...

I bought another projector. I have three now. My last one was a Dukane Film Projector but this one is a slide projector. I was having a hard time figuring out how to implement the film projector into the show, what with me being one guy. Fortunately, this new projector has an automatic setting that turns the slides at 4, 10, 15 second intervals. Unfortunately, the down side is that I bought the projector at a pawn shop and it's missing its slide tray. Also, I'll have to transfer all my film strips into slides. This could prove to be very costly. I went to Wal-Mart (I know, I know) to see how much it would be and they told me that they would charge me by every individual slide. Meaning if I send in an entire film roll, they would have to charge me by the slide: $29.97 a slide.

Quite a lemon if you ask me.

Tomorrow I'm heading into Bentonville (my mother is jonsing to get me a pair of jeans without holes in them) and I'll swing by a professional camera shop to hear their take on the matter. In any case even if the slides turn out to be too expensive to pull of for the tour, I'll be able to get a few done a time when I come back.

In other news, my car is looking a little...what's the word...shady? Every time I mentioned my tour to someone their almost immediate reply to my bewilderment was "You got a pretty reliable car then?" And it's not that it's a silly question. It's just that now is the time for dreaming, later is the time for thinking and doing. Right now, let me dream.

Maybe I've been dreaming long enough.

I told myself this week that I'd really be able to take care of some loose ends. Unfortunately, my foresight proved to be shallower than even I expected. The brakes on my car are a little strange and by that I mean, a little not good by which I mean, they squeal and they seem to be getting pretty old. I took it in today to see how much work would have to be done and how much it would run me. Apparently, it'll be $99 for labor, $44 for the brakes, and $65 for some disc or something. Bottom line is I don't have that kind of money. Even though my mother volunteered to pay for my car's tune up, she currently finds herself between checks. I'm thinking we'll split it even though it is my car and I should be paying all of it. I'm grateful for whatever I can get.

In any case, tomorrow I'll leaving for Conway tomorrow (Friday) even though the show is on Sunday in order to hang out for a few days with the female friend and also because I'm going to be the radio on Saturday. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I'm going to be on the radio on Saturday. It's supposed to be a 10-watt tower which I guess means it's not very big? Anyway, if there's anyway I can get the audio for that, I'll be sure to post it on here.

And finally, I think I'm going to make off with my parent's digital camera. They hardly use it and I need one for this summer. It's settled--I'm stealing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home